web analytics

What hath I bought?

It doesn’t happen often, but occasionally you’ll be cruising eBay for something else entirely and you’ll see something pretty tasty that’s about to close and nobody’s bid on it at all.

And that, Yer Honor, is how I ended up with fifty-something surgical tools I have no idea what they are. I got two really good pairs of precision pliers and some dental picks that make the whole lot worth the £7 paid, but I’m kind of mystified by the rest.

Let’s start with something easy. I shall call these things “bone clamps”. There are six of the kind on the left and two of the kind on the right.

Sound about right to you?


Comment from Ric Fan
Time: May 14, 2018, 9:05 pm

The ones on the left look like surgical drape clamps.

Comment from Uncle Badger
Time: May 14, 2018, 9:08 pm

Anyone got room for a badger as a lodger?

Comment from Some Vegetable
Time: May 14, 2018, 9:52 pm

Be careful Ms. Weasel !

These things don’t always go according to the best-laid plans!


Comment from Pupster
Time: May 14, 2018, 11:35 pm

Fancy roach clips.

Comment from Uncle Al
Time: May 14, 2018, 11:57 pm

@Pupster – That was my first thought, too!
But here in Florida, we call them palmetto bug clips.

Comment from Skandia Recluse
Time: May 15, 2018, 1:28 am

Instruments! They’re instruments. Haven’t you seen the TV show where the cute and charming doc is doing surgery and says,”Clamp! I’ve got a bleeder.” Because his palsey from old age is so bad he nicked an artery.

Comment from Bob
Time: May 15, 2018, 2:39 am

I use them to clamp things that I’ve glued or plastic welded back together.

Comment from DurnedYankee
Time: May 15, 2018, 2:40 am

okay so now where we know where the tools went – they’re at weasel’s house.


Comment from Rich Rostrom
Time: May 15, 2018, 5:51 am

They’re definitely not hemostats (the clamps used to stop bleeding). The working end of a hemostat is two long flat pieces that come together; between the handles is a sort of flat ratchet to hold it closed.

The instruments on the left seem to have some kind of handle ratchet (that long protrusion from one handle crossing over the other).

Drape clamps seems to be right.

The ones on the right, though… They have a screw mechanism for adjusting or tightening the grip. That implies rather more deliberate usage, and perhaps more force. Perhaps for clamping tissue together for suturing; I’m not sure how they could be applied to bones. Maybe for holding a broken bone together while a screw or pin is installed.

Comment from gebrauchshund
Time: May 15, 2018, 5:54 am

I’ll ask you again.

Is it safe?

Comment from F X Muldoon
Time: May 15, 2018, 11:09 am

The ones on the left look like surgical drape clamps.

Towel clamps, as they are called, do not have serrated jaws.

However, they do look like bone reduction forceps, which do.

The ones on the right are self-centering bone forceps.

Comment from Ric Fan
Time: May 15, 2018, 2:49 pm

Hey, Uncle B! Ever see the film, The Beguiled? Better sleep with one eye open, is all I’ll say.

Comment from S. Weasel
Time: May 15, 2018, 7:40 pm

I think Muldoon has the right of it. Bone forceps sounds about right — in their fully clamped position, they have a round opening, which is what put me in mind of bones in the first place.

Comment from DurnedYankee
Time: May 15, 2018, 8:29 pm

Well, yeah, how can you not trust someone who’s middle name is Xavier?

Comment from Jimbro
Time: May 19, 2018, 2:48 pm

Top left: So called sharp-sharp bone reduction clamps
Lower left: Bone reduction clamps
Right side: Plate-to-bone clamps

Useful tools and a great purchase for the aspiring home bonesetter!

Write a comment

(as if I cared)

(yeah. I'm going to write)

(oooo! you have a website?)

Beware: more than one link in a comment is apt to earn you a trip to the spam filter, where you will remain -- cold, frightened and alone -- until I remember to clean the trap. But, hey, without Akismet, we'd be up to our asses in...well, ass porn, mostly.

<< carry me back to ol' virginny