I got an unexpected care package from my folks today. To understand why my heart sank when I saw the sender, let me tell you what was in this one:
- A jacket and scarf
- A five-pack of multicolored dish towels
- A pair of oven gloves
- A collapsible rubber pasta strainer
- A terrycloth pad for drying things upon
- A pair of combination padlocks still in their packaging
- Two family portraits I painted for them as a gift 25 years ago (um, ouch)
- A slingshot
- A harmonica
At least this one is merely inexplicable. Sometimes, they send me clothes so horrible I can’t help but wonder if I’m being mocked. Or personal items that clearly show wear.
I’d put it down to senility, but I’ve been getting these packages all my adult life.
That’s not the worst bit. The worst bit is, I’m going to have to call and thank them in a minute.